Monterey County Points of Interest
New Lagunita School at 975 San Juan Grade Road
Near the Site of the Battle of Natividad
25 May 2018
(Click Photo to Zoom)
Built in 1897 on San Juan Grade Road facing Sugar Loaf Mountain, Lagunita Schoolhouse housed grades 1-8 until 1967 when the building was declared unsafe.
The school was replaced with a larger, similar-looking structure, and the original schoolhouse was moved here in 1986.
The Monterey County Historical Society has restored and preserved the building as a museum.
The Lagunita Schoolhouse is the little red schoolhouse in The Red Pony by John Steinbeck .
Some Historic Schoolhouses in Northern California
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Colfax Freight Depot (Moved Twice), Colfax
Commodore Watkins House, Atherton
Coyle-Foster Barn, Shasta State Historic Park
Croll Building, Alameda
Dallam-Merritt House, San Francisco
Duatre's Store, Monterey
Nevada-California-Oregon Railway Depot, Alturas
Old Log Jail (Moved Twice), Markleeville
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.