Lassen County Points of Interest
A marker near the entrance reads:
Chuck's Railroad Room
Westwood Rail Depot
This building was part of the rail station from 1911-1958 of the Southern Pacific Line and was built by the Red River Lumber Company owned by the Walker Family. The Western Union and freight offices were a gathering place for local people. Leaving these tracks was the harvest of the mountain's timber that went into the building of San Francisco, Sacramento, and Cucamonga. The depot was moved in 1970 to its present site and remodeled. The bar, now an official ECV 1911 watering hole, came from Juanita's, a house of ill repute in Susanville.
Dedicated July 21, 6006 (2001) by the Vigilantes Outpost No. 1911
Las Plumas del Oro Chapter 8 of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
Credo Quia Absurdum
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Perry's Dry Goods, Gardnerville, NV
Phelps House (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.