Mono County Points of Interest
Bridgeport Elementary School
Built in 1880, this historic building was used until October, 1964. Plans for a new school building called for the destruction of this one. It was saved by the Mono County Historical Society, the citizens of Bridgeport and Mono County. Through the support of Mono County Supervisors, the building was purchased and moved to this location to serve as the first county museum. This is a proud old building and when first set in place on its new foundation, its doors and windows would not open or close until the buckle of age was put back in the floor. Many of the pioneers of the town and county struggled through their "Three R's" in this building. The happy voices of children in school have been replaced by the quiet memories of yesterday.
Dedicated July 23, 2005
Bodie Chapter No. 64 E Clampus Vitus
Mono County Historical Society
Some Historic Schoolhouses in Northern California
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Perry's Dry Goods, Gardnerville, NV
Phelps House (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.