Calaveras County Points of Interest
This is the simplest and most mysterious Masonic Hall we have encountered. It has no ornamentation and no windows.
The building was constructed in Copperopolis in 1871 as a saloon. Later it became a town hall.
In 1881, it was purchased by Keystone Lodge No. 161 and moved from Copperopolis to Milton.
A marker mounted on a stone in front of the building reads:
Keystone Lodge No. 161, F. & A. M. instituted in Copperopolis, Dec. 19, 1862, at the height of the copper mining boom. Moved, 1881, to Milton, the terminal of the Stockton & Copperopolis Railroad, which, because of the collapse of copper mining, never reached its intended goal. Dedicated to the memory of those who sought to perpetuate the moral teachings of Freemasonry. To them we gratefully acknowledge our debt.
Grand Lodge F. & A .M. of California
Dec. 19, 1962
The building was destroyed by fire on 23 January 2016.
Some Masonic Halls in California
Other Masonic Halls in The American West
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Perry's Dry Goods, Gardnerville, NV
Phelps House (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.