National Register of Historic Places in San Mateo County
Independence Hall originally stood several hundred feet west of its current location on Woodside Avenue. In 1894, when it was only ten years old, it moved to Albion Avenue where it remained for almost eighty years. During prohibition, it fell from civic grace when it was closed for rowdiness. (What Northern California building of a certain age does not have a prohibition story or a bordello story?)
In 1944, still on Albion Avenue, it changed its name to Scout Hall, a first step on the road back to respectability. About thirty years later, perhaps nostalgic as it reached the century mark, it moved back to its original home on Woodside Road where it resided for two decades. In 1991, as befits a patriarch whose lapses have been forgiven, it moved to its current home next door to Town Hall under its old identity of Independence Hall.
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Colfax Freight Depot (Moved Twice), Colfax
Commodore Watkins House, Atherton
Coyle-Foster Barn, Shasta State Historic Park
Croll Building, Alameda
Dallam-Merritt House, San Francisco
Duatre's Store, Monterey
Nevada-California-Oregon Railway Depot, Alturas
Old Log Jail (Moved Twice), Markleeville
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.