National Register of Historic Places in Stanislaus County
The Wood House one of the rare examples of Victorian architecture still in existence in Modesto. It is one of only six structures built before 1900 represented in the Historic Building Survey of Modesto.
The building, although modified and given a Queen Anne configuration, maintains an Italianate character in the manner of its decoration, even in the corner tower. It is thus a good representative of this style, and a rare one as well.
The first owner, Walter B. Wood, was a leading early Modesto businessman who made substantial contributions to the development of several local commercial enterprises.
Excerpted from the National Register nomination dated 7 April 1988.
The National Register gives the address of the Wood House as 814 12th Street. However, when we visited the 800 block of 12th Street in the summer of 2006, the block was occupied by a new, brick parking garage.
After we had published the photograph of the garage, several Modesto residents advised us that the residence had not been demolished but had been moved to the corner of State Route 32 and Nebraska Avenue soon after it was listed on the National Register.
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Colfax Freight Depot (Moved Twice), Colfax
Commodore Watkins House, Atherton
Coyle-Foster Barn, Shasta State Historic Park
Croll Building, Alameda
Dallam-Merritt House, San Francisco
Duatre's Store, Monterey
Nevada-California-Oregon Railway Depot, Alturas
Old Log Jail (Moved Twice), Markleeville
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.