National Register of Historic Places in Alpine County
The Old Webster Schoolhouse is a single room, one story wood frame restored building with a gable roof and plain, boxed cornice built in 1882. It is 694 square feet, built on a hilltop in what is now the Alpine County Historical Complex.
Originally, the school was the only building on this property.
The Old Webster Schoolhouse was the county school from 1882 until 1928.
A plaque on the back wall of the schoolhouse reads:
Old Webster School
Built by the citizens of Markleeville in 1882 it remained in operation until 1929 when the new Webster School was completed.
In 1966, with the old school on the verge of total destruction, the Historical Society of Alpine County began to raise funds for the restoration of the school. Work began immediately with money and labor donated by the members of the society and other interested people.
In 1968 the project was completed.
Originally dedicated Sept. 17, 1966
Rededicated and plaqued Sept. 15, 1979 by Snow-Shoe Thomson Chapter No. 1827 of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus.