National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
The two-story, wood-frame house of William McCredie is a well-preserved and locally distinctive example of American Foursquare house. It is representative of the type of house commonly selected by new arrivals in Jackson County's fertile Bear Creek Valley in the early 20th century.
William McCredie, an immigrant to the United States from Scotland, was a farmer-orchardist who built his house and planted his orchard along Old Stage Road on the west side of the valley. Around him were other orchardists, some wealthy investors from the east and some university-trained agriculturists who wanted to try their hand at fruit growing.
The McCredie House was the principal residence of a middle-class family of six which owned and worked an orchard for forty years. Construction was commenced in 1907 and finished in 1908. After William McCredie's death in 1942 and the end of a subsequent period of occupancy by one of his daughters, Velma McCredie Lull, the house changed hands two times.
The house was purchased in 1976 by the Forest Service and incorporated into the Medford Nursery administered by the Rogue River National Forest. In 1985, the house was moved a short distance to private property on the other side of Old Stage Road.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1980.
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Colfax Freight Depot (Moved Twice), Colfax
Commodore Watkins House, Atherton
Coyle-Foster Barn, Shasta State Historic Park
Croll Building, Alameda
Dallam-Merritt House, San Francisco
Duatre's Store, Monterey
Nevada-California-Oregon Railway Depot, Alturas
Old Log Jail (Moved Twice), Markleeville
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.