National Register of Historic Places in Mariposa County
The United States Army administered Yosemite National Park from 1891 until the designation of civilian Superintendents in 1913.
This building, the first headquarters office, was constructed in Camp A. E. Wood, Wawona, in 1904. It is the sole remaining structure associated with the military tenure in Wawona.
When Yosemite Valley became part of Yosemite National Park in 1906, the increased management responsibilities determined a move of headquarters from Wawona to the valley floor. Several of the residences built by the Army in Yosemite Valley are extant there, but this office building is the only survivor of the few structures that were disassembled and moved with the troops from Wawona in 1906.
When the Pioneer Yosemite History Center was planned in the late 1950's it was deemed appropriate to move the original headquarters, then serving as National Park Service housing, back to Wawona.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination.
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Perry's Dry Goods, Gardnerville, NV
Phelps House (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.