Tuolumne County Points of Interest
Jamestown Branch Jail
California's gold country was in the midst of a second gold rush when the Tuolumne County Board of Supervisors approved construction of a Jamestown Branch Jail. It was designed by Sonora architect C. W. Ayers and built by A. S. Thomas for $1060.00, it was ready for its first inmate in January 1898 with Constable John W. "Jack" Leland in charge. The 400 square foot wood, concrete and brick building was used as a temporary detention facility until inmates could be taken to the county jail in Sonora or released after a night on the town. The Jamestown Branch Jail served the community until 1940 when all services were moved to Sonora. In 1964, R. W. Pollard purchased the building and moved it to Pollardville, his theme park near Stockton. When Pollardville was sold in 2007, the Jamestown Jail returned home 125 feet east of its original location. This historic building is owned by the people of Tuolumne County.
Matuca Chapter 1849
E Clampus Vitus
June 21, 2008 (6013)
Credo Quia Absurdum
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Colfax Freight Depot (Moved Twice), Colfax
Commodore Watkins House, Atherton
Coyle-Foster Barn, Shasta State Historic Park
Croll Building, Alameda
Dallam-Merritt House, San Francisco
Duatre's Store, Monterey
Nevada-California-Oregon Railway Depot, Alturas
Old Log Jail (Moved Twice), Markleeville
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.