National Register of Historic Places in Santa Barbara County
Goleta Depot is the oldest commercial building in the town of Goleta.
It was built in 1901 during the completion of the Southern Pacific Railroad Coast Line which linked San Francisco and Los Angeles. The line had a major impact on patterns of settlement, tourism and agriculture throughout the 20th century.
Goleta Depot, a Victorian Stick Style building, is a Southern Pacific Combination Station No. 22 (CS-22). Southern Pacific used standard plans to simplify the design and construction its depots. Most of these depots were wood-frame buildings in small towns and in the country.
From about 1894 until the 1930s, Southern Pacific built at least ninety-one CS-22 depots in California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Oregon and Utah.
Eight CS-22 depots were built in Santa Barbara County.
Except for Goleta Depot, all were razed by Southern Pacific.
Most were gone by 1980.
In 1981, Goleta Depot was moved from its original site, about two miles from here, to Los Carneros County Park. The tracks in the photograph are not functional.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 2001.
The Goleta Depot is also Santa Barbara County Landmark 22. An interpretive marker reads:
On this site stands Goleta Depot, an enduring tribute to many who, with generous gifts of love, time, and resources made possible its acquisition, restoration, and maintenance as Santa Barbara County Landmark No. 22.
Built in 1901 near South Kellogg Avenue by the Southern Pacific Railroad Co. and moved here Nov. 19, 1981 by Goleta Beautiful, the station was dedicated Nov. 19, 1983 by the Native Sons of the Golden West, walter G. Perazzo Grand President with special recognition to the Depot Committee, Gary Coombs, Chairman, Phyllis J. Olsen, Raymond B. Baird, Eugene Allen, and George H. Adams.
All your old stations are being torn down
And the high flying trains no longer roar
The floors're all sagging with boards a suffering
From not being used anymore
Things're all changing the world's rearranging
A time that will soon be no more
Where has a slow moving
Once quick draw outlaw got to go?
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Mary's Church, Rocklin
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Perry's Dry Goods, Gardnerville, NV
Phelps House (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.