Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Nevada County
This Streamline Moderne building was built in 1948 by the Kullman Dining Car Company in Newark, New Jersey, for shipment to West Chester, Pennsylvania, where it operated as the Birmingham Grill until 1992 when it was purchased by the Carey Family for relocation to Truckee.
On July 26, 1995 the diner arrived. No other diner of its size and class had ever been trucked across the continent.
After extensive restoration the diner opened on December 7, 1995.
Source: Adapted from an interpretative marker in front of the diner.
The Kullman Dining Car Company was established in Newark, New Jersey in 1927 and remained in business until 2011.
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Colfax Freight Depot (Moved Twice), Colfax
Commodore Watkins House, Atherton
Coyle-Foster Barn, Shasta State Historic Park
Croll Building, Alameda
Dallam-Merritt House, San Francisco
Duatre's Store, Monterey
Nevada-California-Oregon Railway Depot, Alturas
Old Log Jail (Moved Twice), Markleeville
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.