Points of Historic Interest in Washoe County
The Reno Arch
This arch was originally erected on Virginia Street at Commercial Row in 1926 to promote an exposition that celebrated the completion of the Lincoln and Victory highways. Electric bulbs spelled our "Reno" and "Nevada's Transcontinental Highways Exposition, June 25 - Aug 1 1927." Following the event a contest was held by the City Council to find a slogan for the arch. In 1929 a Sacramento man won $100 for his entry, "Reno, the biggest little city in the world." By 1934 some citizens felt that the slogan was passé, so it was eliminated and replaced with "Reno" in green neon. The change was not well accepted. In 1935 the slogan returned with redesigned neon lettering. The arch remained there unaltered until 1963 when it was replaced by a new one. The old arch first moved to the original site of the exposition, Idlewild Park and then to Paradise Park. In 1988, due to its badly deteriorated base, officials placed it in storage.
In 1994 filmmakers paid for the restoration and installation or the arch on East Fourth Street for its "supporting role" in the movie Cobb. After the filming, the Reno City Council launched a campaign to find a permanent home. Reconstructed here in 1995 the arch once again proudly welcomes visitors to downtown Reno.
Marker Placed by the Historical Resources Commission
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Mary's Church, Rocklin
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Perry's Dry Goods, Gardnerville, NV
Phelps House (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.