Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Nevada County
In 1863 the town of Truckee did not exist. Native Americans roamed the region.
Joseph Gray believed that this would be a good place to build a way station. Henness Pass Road and Dutch Flat-Donner Lake Wagon Road converged here. In a few years, the Central Pacific Railroad would complete the Sierra Nevada crossing of the first transcontinental railroad.
Gray's Station sat alone beside the only road. The small cabin served ladies and gentlemen traveling in six-horse stage coaches and teamsters wrangling thirty-horse freight wagons.
In 1907, the Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West moved the cabin to its present location by taking the entire building down, piece by piece, and reconstructing it at its present site.
In the 1950s, the building was extensively remodeled for use as a residence. Subsequently, an addition was added to the rear.
The Old Stone Garage, built in 1909, stands on the original site of Gray's Station.
Source: Adapted from Truckee-Donner Historical Society website
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Colfax Freight Depot (Moved Twice), Colfax
Commodore Watkins House, Atherton
Coyle-Foster Barn, Shasta State Historic Park
Croll Building, Alameda
Dallam-Merritt House, San Francisco
Duatre's Store, Monterey
Nevada-California-Oregon Railway Depot, Alturas
Old Log Jail (Moved Twice), Markleeville
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.