National Register of Historic Places in Santa Clara County
The Warner Hutton house represents a classic example of the Queen Anne style that was popular for Santa Clara County farmhouses in the 1890s.
Queen Anne architecture was fashionable from 1870 to 1900, a time when Santa Clara Valley was developing into a world-renowned fruit-growing region of small farms, orchards and vineyards. The region became known as "the Valley of Heart's Delight".
The house was an orchard residence from the time of its construction until 1983 when title to the property was transferred to California's Department of Transportation in preparation for completion of State Highway 85.
Moved to its present location in 1990, the house is surrounded by well-tended lawns, Victorian-styled gardens, and majestic oak trees. Wildcat Creek and Saratoga's Heritage Orchard border the north side of the property. This site was selected because it closely approximates the original orchard setting and provided an identical east-facing orientation for the house.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 2006.
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Bagby Stationhouse, El Portal
Bayview Hotel, Aptos
Bridgeport Elementary School, Mono County
Calvary Presbyterian Church, Bolinas
Carter House, Ashland, Oregon
Christian Church, Gilroy
Choller Mansion, Virginia City, NV
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Mary's Church, Rocklin
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Perry's Dry Goods, Gardnerville, NV
Phelps House (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.