Shasta County Points of Interest
The marker reads:
The Coyle-Foster Barn in its Heyday
A Traditional American Barn
This barn was built in the late 1850s by Thomas and Mary Coyle. It originally stood in the old Trinity Center and was used to shelter horses at the Holland House Hotel, on the road to Oregon.
Rescued From Destruction
In 1959, when flooding of old Trinity Center was imminent with the building of Trinity Dam, the owner of the barn, William Foster, Jr., donated it to the state. The barn was carefully dismantled and reassembled on this site. Go inside to see the long original beams and mortise and tenon joints secured with wooden pegs.
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Colfax Freight Depot (Moved Twice), Colfax
Commodore Watkins House, Atherton
Coyle-Foster Barn, Shasta State Historic Park
Croll Building, Alameda
Dallam-Merritt House, San Francisco
Duatre's Store, Monterey
Nevada-California-Oregon Railway Depot, Alturas
Old Log Jail (Moved Twice), Markleeville
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.