National Register of Historic Places in Sacramento County
The Mary Haley Galarneaux House is a fine example of the Italianate Victorian style and an excellent representative of Sacramento's late 19th century residential architecture. In 1915, the house was moved from its original location to a compatible neighborhood with other older residential buildings.
The property went through several owners after Mary Haley Galarneaux. It is believed that a Japanese family owned the house prior to World War II but lost it when they were sent to the internment camps. After that time, the house was supposedly used as a speakeasy and gambling house. During the 1970s the house was part of the red light district.
By 1977 the local architectural survey had listed in poor condition. By 1997 it was totally dilapidated and in serious danger of being condemned.
When the house was listed on the National Register in 2001, the neighborhood had been gentrified and the Victorian houses and Arts and Crafts bungalows had been restored.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination.
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Colfax Freight Depot (Moved Twice), Colfax
Commodore Watkins House, Atherton
Coyle-Foster Barn, Shasta State Historic Park
Croll Building, Alameda
Dallam-Merritt House, San Francisco
Duatre's Store, Monterey
Nevada-California-Oregon Railway Depot, Alturas
Old Log Jail (Moved Twice), Markleeville
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.