Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Nevada County
A plaque in front of the church:Historic Nevada City Methodist Church
Dedicated in 1864
Now, one of the oldest existing churches
Plaque placed October 6, 1965 by Laurel Parlor No. 6 and Hydraulic Parlor No. 56
The Nevada City Methodist Church was the first denominational church in Nevada County. Founded by the pioneer preacher Reverend Isaac Owen in 1850, the church was originally located a bit farther up the hill in the Pioneer Cemetery. It was moved to this site in 1852, burned to the ground in the 1856, rebuilt afterwards and reburned to the ground in 1863. The present structure was rebuilt and dedicated in 1864, and has been in continuous use since that time, except for periods of brief remodeling after other lesser fires.
Source: The California Gold Country: Highway 49 Revisited
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Bagby Stationhouse, El Portal
Bayview Hotel, Aptos
Bridgeport Elementary School, Mono County
Calvary Presbyterian Church, Bolinas
Carter House, Ashland, Oregon
Christian Church, Gilroy
Choller Mansion, Virginia City, NV
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Mary's Church, Rocklin
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Perry's Dry Goods, Gardnerville, NV
Phelps House (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.