Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Sierra County
Goodyears Bar Schoolhouse
This building was erected in early 1862 as a church and public meeting place. It was built from flume lumber floated down the river from Snake Bar. In the latter half of 1862 it was turned into a temple of learning. Mrs. Delany was the first teacher on record. There is speculation the schoolhouse escaped the fire of 1864 and by 1882 there were 31 students enrolled in this school. Teacher Mrs. Sydney Strand ended the era of teaching all eight primary grades in a one room schoolhouse in 1953 when the governing school board decided to discontinue its use and bussed the local students to Downieville. The board gave the building to the community of Goodyears Bar where for the last 50 years it has been used as a social hall, voting place, pre-school, and currently as a museum to commemorate the rich mining history to which the town owes its beginning.
Dedicated August 28, 2004
Major William Downie Chapter 1849
E Clampus Vitus
With help from Cy Rollins and the community of Goodyears Bar
Credo Quia Absurdum