National Register of Historic Places in Placer County
A plaque on the building reads:
Colfax Freight Depot
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places
14 Nov. 1999 NPS. 99001564-000
Built circa 1880 by Central Pacific Railroad Company. Constructed of wood using standard S.P. design known as Freight House #2, exhibiting the Victorian Era stick style. This building is the only freight depot of this type remaining in Placer County.
The freight depot served as the transfer point a terminus for the Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad. The N.C.N.G. transported passengers, mining supplies, gold and fruit from 20 April, 1876 to 10 July, 1942.
In 1871, Morris Lobner, at age 22, was appointed as agent for the Central Pacific Railroad by Collis P, Huntington. He served 46 years in Colfax.
The Freight Depot was retired from railroad use in 1963.
Dedicated Founder's Day, 18 Sept., 2004
Plaque donated by Gary & Penne Todd, present owners & Colfax Area Historical Society
The Colfax Freight Depot depot was moved first in 1905 to the location of the original Colfax passenger depot and then was moved again in the 1920s due to a track realignment and addition of a second main line.
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Mary's Church, Rocklin
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Perry's Dry Goods, Gardnerville, NV
Phelps House (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.