Monterey County Points of Interest
In 1884, lumberman Charles H. King purchased 13,000 acres of San Lorenzo Rancho to grow wheat in the "Salinas Desert." At that time, no farming was done on a large scale. Eight-mule teams that hauled crops to Soledad, the terminus of the Southern Pacific Railroad.
King's crop was successful. King's friend, Collis P. Huntington, the railroad magnate, proposed the extension of the Southern Pacific down the valley from Soledad. King gave Southern Pacific the right-of-way across his ranch. Today the line runs for eight straight miles over the old King ranch lands.
In May 1886, 1,500 Chinese laborers began laying track south from Soledad. On Saturday, July 3, 1886, the first locomotive rolled in to "King’s" City. The depot was built in 1903
The depot remained in operation until the 1980s when many of the Southern Pacific depots were sold or destroyed. In 1989, the depot was moved to its present location and restored.
The Southern Pacific Railroad played a key role in opening the Salinas Valley to settlement and agricultural development. Over twenty depots were scattered along its route through Monterey County but most have disappeared except for King City’s station.
Source: Monterey County Agricultural & Rural Life Museum
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Colfax Freight Depot (Moved Twice), Colfax
Commodore Watkins House, Atherton
Coyle-Foster Barn, Shasta State Historic Park
Croll Building, Alameda
Dallam-Merritt House, San Francisco
Duatre's Store, Monterey
Nevada-California-Oregon Railway Depot, Alturas
Old Log Jail (Moved Twice), Markleeville
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.