National Register of Historic Places in Yolo County
The present Cañon School is the third in a succession schools in the Capay Valley near Brooks, California.
The first, built in 1861, was deemed inadequate. It was replaced by a new structure in 1868. The present Cañon School was established on its present location in 1884 when the second school was razed by fire. It was at this time that the name of the school was changed from Central View to Cañon School.
From its earliest days, the Cañon School was an important part of the surrounding rural community. Education was obviously the main purpose for the building. There was one teacher and usually about 35 students. The students ranged in age from 6 to 16, with an occasional student being as old as his early twenties. The grade structure ran through the first eight grades.
Because most families were poor and the children were needed on the farms, not much pressure was put upon the students to continue their education at the high school or college level.
The school day started with the clanging of a bell at 9:00 A.M. and ended at 4:00 P.M. There were 15 minute breaks at 10:00 A.M. and 2:00 P.M., with one hour for lunch. The subjects taught were the traditional reading, writing, arithmetic and nature study.
Due to the fact that there was only one teacher for all eight grades, the older children helped out with the younger ones.
For all this work, the teacher was paid $65.00 in 1901.
Excerpted from the NRHP nomination.
Some Historic Schoolhouses in Northern California