Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Modoc County
The marker reads:Beginnings of the Davis Creek Community Church
In the early 1880's the Christian Church of Willow Ranch, California, sent their pastor, John Sutherland, to Davis Creek to help establish a church. The members met in homes.
Printed in a hymnal given to the Martin Henderson family is the following: "John Sutherland, Willow Ranch, California, February 10, 1884."
In 1886, when a church group disbanded four or so miles south of Davis Creek, Martin Henderson purchased this building and had it moved to its present site. At that time it was named the Davis Creek Christian Church.
The first wedding held in this church was of Martin's son, Lewis Martin Henderson, and Minnie Adel Taylor on January 16, 1887. Minnie became the church organist and Lewis, the music leader.
The next long term pastor was called Brother Love. A picture, circa 1890, shows over fifty members at a Sunday church gathering at the Martin Henderson home. Identified in it are well known early Davis Creek names: Crowder, Davis, Hartlerode, Henderson, Lee, Ramer, Roberts, Roy, Watkins, and Reverend Brother Love.
Later it became the custom for itinerant pastors to come from Alturas or Lakeview, or for traveling preachers to stop by.
This building remained the center of the community for many years as the gathering place for funerals, wedding, Sunday school, Bible studies, singings, etc. It is the oldest building in Davis Creek and has seen many family joys and griefs in the years it has been cared for by the people of Davis Creek.
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Mary's Church, Rocklin
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Perry's Dry Goods, Gardnerville, NV
Phelps House (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.