Mariposa County Points of Interest
The commemorative marker reads:
Mt. Buckingham School
This school was originally two stories and was built in Georgetown about 1878. At that time it was called the Snow Creek School. Space was limited so the school was dismantled and moved to a larger site in 1910. The land was donated by Richard Darrah, a local merchant who also ran the post office. Many students helped with the labor. Mt. Buckingham, named after a resident, was within view of the new site so the school then became Mt. Buckingham School. At one time, a duel took place at the school. A Mr. Quimby accused Dick Smithers of stealing his sow. The argument was followed by gunfire, resulting in the death of Smithers. Mary Paisley was the teacher who held the last class in 1953. Since then the building has been called the Darrah School and used for community events. Many local residents attended this school. Renovation was done in 1996-1996, by the Mariposa Kiwanis Club.
Dedicated by Matuca Chapter 1849
E Clampus Vitus
April 13, 1996 (6001)
Credo Quia Absurdum
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Bagby Stationhouse, El Portal
Bayview Hotel, Aptos
Bridgeport Elementary School, Mono County
Calvary Presbyterian Church, Bolinas
Carter House, Ashland, Oregon
Christian Church, Gilroy
Choller Mansion, Virginia City, NV
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Mary's Church, Rocklin
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Perry's Dry Goods, Gardnerville, NV
Phelps House (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.