Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Placer County
Old St. Mary's Church is the only remaining 19th Century public building in Rocklin.
The building was funded by the local Irish community and dedicated in 1883 by Archbishop Joseph Alemany of San Francisco as St. Mary’s of the Assumption Catholic Church.
St. Mary’s served the Catholic communities of Rocklin and Loomis for one hundred years. In 1983, the congregation moved to a new facility. The building housed several other faiths before falling into disrepair.
The Rocklin Historical Society saved the building from demolition. The City of Rocklin established Heritage Park. In 2005, hundreds of citizens pulled St. Mary’s four hundred yards to the park. In 2007, a new steeple was lifted into place to complete the restoration.
Source: A placard in front of the building.
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Bagby Stationhouse, El Portal
Bayview Hotel, Aptos
Bridgeport Elementary School, Mono County
Calvary Presbyterian Church, Bolinas
Carter House, Ashland, Oregon
Christian Church, Gilroy
Choller Mansion, Virginia City, NV
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Mary's Church, Rocklin
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Perry's Dry Goods, Gardnerville, NV
Phelps House (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.