San Francisco Landmarks
Holy Cross Sunday School Hall
Oldest frame church building in San Francisco
The original St. Patrick's Church built in 1854 upon the present site of the Palace Hotel from materials brought around the horn.
Moved to Eddy Street & served as pro-cathedral 1885 to 1891. Moved to present location 1891 where it became Holy Cross Parish Church until 1899 - one hundred years of service have been completed.
Marker placed by Native Daughters of the Golden West
June 20, 1954
Both Photos 26 July 2007
(Click Photos to Zoom)
The oldest frame church building standing in San Francisco.
Originally constructed in 1854 on the south side of Market Street between Second and Third where the Palace Hotel stands today, it was the second church for the Parish of Saint Patrick. The third St. Patrick's Church is on Mission Street between Third and Fourth.
In 1873, the building was moved to Eddy Street, between Laguna and Octavia to serve as the church building for Saint John the Baptist Parish. In 1891, it was moved to its present site to serve as the church for the Holy Cross Parish until 1899 when a new church was consecrated, and the old wooden church became the Parish Hall. Both buildings survived the 1906 Earthquake and Fire.
The 1854 church and the 1899 church have been reincarnated as Buddhist temples.
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Bagby Stationhouse, El Portal
Bayview Hotel, Aptos
Bridgeport Elementary School, Mono County
Calvary Presbyterian Church, Bolinas
Carter House, Ashland, Oregon
Christian Church, Gilroy
Choller Mansion, Virginia City, NV
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Mary's Church, Rocklin
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Perry's Dry Goods, Gardnerville, NV
Phelps House (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.