National Register of Historic Places in San Luis Obispo County
The Tribune-Republic Building was built in 1873 on Morro Street. Until the end of the 19th century it housed a printing office for four successive newspapers.
In 1905, the building was moved to its current location near the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks where it was a rooming house for railroad workers. At the beginning of the 20th century, buildings of all kinds were constructed or moved into this area around the railroad tracks.
The Tribune Building is the oldest of the moved buildings and is also the oldest wooden commercial building in the town of San Luis Obispo.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1993.
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
Colfax Freight Depot (Moved Twice), Colfax
Commodore Watkins House, Atherton
Coyle-Foster Barn, Shasta State Historic Park
Croll Building, Alameda
Dallam-Merritt House, San Francisco
Duatre's Store, Monterey
Nevada-California-Oregon Railway Depot, Alturas
Old Log Jail (Moved Twice), Markleeville
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.