California Historical Landmarks in Calaveras County
California Historical Landmark 296
375 Main Street
State Registered Landmark No. 296
Copper discovered here by W. K. Reed and Thomas McCarty in 1860. The mines were utilized during the Civil War and the First and Second World Wars. During Civil War period was principal copper producing section of the United States.
Marker placed by California Centennials Commission.
Base furnished by Copperopolis Community Center
Dedicated May 30, 1949