National Register of Historic Places in Santa Barbara County
Edgar Whitney Stow was a prominent agriculturist and ranch owner in Santa Barbara County. This house was his primary residence from 1915 to 1949.
While living here, Stow developed an international reputation for his research into improving the productivity of lemon trees. He was also instrumental in the development of the agricultural cooperative movement in Santa Barbara County.
As a State Senator, Stow represented the agricultural interests of independent farmers in Santa Barbara
Built in 1873 as a Carpenter Gothic cottage, the Stow House is one of the oldest wood-frame houses in Goleta. The west wing was altered around 1885 with the construction of a hipped-roof, Italianate addition. Between 1913 and 1915, the porch was enlarged and redesigned to wrap around the southwest comer of the house.
When Edgar Stow took over management of the property in 1915, all the major alterations to the house were either in progress or already completed. There have been new significant alterations since then.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in the year 2000.
The Stow House, located in Rancho La Patera, is maintained by the Goleta Valley Historical Society and is open to the public.