National Register of Historic Places in Storey County
Virginia City, on the Comstock Lode, was the first silver rush town; it was also the first area in the West where the methods of large-scale industrial and corporate enterprise were intensely applied and developed. As the experimental laboratory for these techniques, which were introduced with such success between 1860 and 1864, Virginia City thus became the prototype of the subsequent important mining towns that appeared on the mining frontier in Colorado, Idaho, Montana and eastern Nevada.
The influence of the Comstock Lode between 1860 and 1880 was enormous. Wealth poured into San Francisco, establishing that city as the Queen City of the Pacific Coast. Unlike the California gold rush, which distributed the money widely, a small number of individuals accumulated immense fortunes from the Comstock Mines.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1992.
|Name||Year||Address||Remarks||Sort Address||Sort Name|
|Storey County Courthouse||1876||26 South B Street||One of two nineteenth century courthouses in Nevada still serving county government.||Street B S 0026||Storey County Courthouse|
|Fourth Ward School||1876||537 South C Street||This wooden building, designed in the Second Empire architectural style, housed grades one through twelve until 1936.||Street C S 0537||Fourth Ward School|
|St. Mary in the Mountain Catholic Church||1876||111 South E Street||The St. Mary in the Mountains Church that stands today was rebuilt on the ruins of the former church which was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1875.||Street E S 0111||St. Mary in the Mountain Catholic Church|
|St. Paul the Prospector Episcopal Church||1876||87 F Street||Founded September 1, 1861. St. Paul’s parish is the mother church of all Episcopal churches in Nevada.||Street F 0087||St. Paul the Prospector Episcopal Church|
|First Presbyterian Church||1867||196 South C Street||This stick style structure with Gothic windows is one of the few buildings in Virginia City to have survived the Great Fire of 1875.||Street C S 0196||First Presbyterian Church|
|Piper's Opera House||1883||1 North B Street||Street B N 0001||Piper's Opera House|
|Knights of Pythias Hall||1876||34 B Street||A good example of the commercial styles of a century ago with tall ground floor doors.||Street B 0034||Knights of Pythias Hall|
|Miners' Union Hall||1876||36 B Street||A good example of the commercial styles of a century ago. The steel fire doors are original.||Street B 0036||Miners' Union Hall|
|Territorial Enterprise||1862||53 South C Street||Mark Twain made this the most famous newspaper in the west.||Street C N 0471||Territorial Enterprise|
|Savage House||1876||146 D Street||This wooden Second Empire structure was once the Savage Mining Company office and later the mine superintendents residence. It is Nevada Historical Landmarj 87.||Street D 0146||Savage House|
|Mackay Mansion||1860||129 South D Street||Home of John Mackay, "Boss" of the Big Bonanza, which made him the richest man in the Comstock. Nevada Historical Landmark 132.||Street D S 0129||Mackay Mansion|