California Historical Landmarks in Sonoma County
California Historical Landmark 3
Mission San Francisco Solano
Northeast Corner of Sonoma Plaza
Sonoma State Historic Park
On July 4, 1823, Padre José Altamira founded this northernmost of California's Franciscan missions, the only one established under independent Mexico. In 1834, secularization orders were carried out by Military Commandant Mariano G. Vallejo. San Francisco Solano became a parish church serving the Pueblo and Sonoma Valley until sold in 1881.
This plaque replaces one originally dedicated by the Historic Landmarks Committee, Native Sons of the Golden West, 1926.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 3
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Sonoma Parlor No. III, Native Sons of the Golden West, July 14, 1963.
Mission San Francisco Solano contributes to the Sonama Plaza Historic District National Register Listing #75000489.
Sonoma State Historic Park contains six historic buildings:
Historic Adobe Buildings