Mariposa County Points of Interest
The marker by the door reads:Sun Sun Wo Co.
One of the earlier Gold Rush buildings, and one of the last adobe structures left, this general store was established and operated by the Chinese from 1851 until 1926.
Named after it's original owners Mow Da Sun and his son, Sun Kow, this store was a major business in the area eventually branching out to Red Cloud about ten miles north-east of here.
The original shelves and counters are still in the store, and there is evidence that part of the office was used as an opium den.
A dirt ceiling and the fireproof walls spared the building from the fires that razed this town.
Dedicated April 1, 1989-4687-5994
Matuca Chapter 1849 E Clampus Vitus
Credo Quia Absurdum
Historic Adobe Buildings