Sonoma County Points of Interest
The Toscano Hotel was originally a general store and lending library.
The name Toscano Hotel was adopted in 1886 when Settimo Ciucci and his business partner Leonido Quartaroli turned it into a workingman’s hotel and bar. Guests included Italian workers who quarried basalt blocks from the hills north of the Sonoma Plaza, railroad workers, vineyard workers, and eventually vacationing families from the greater Bay Area who would come to visit the hot springs.
The kitchen annex was added in 1902 and offered fine Italian food.
After being operated from 1886 to 1955 by the Ciucci family, the hotel was sold to the California Department of Parks and Recreation.
Source: Sonoma Petaluma Parks website.
The Toscano Hotel contributes to the Sonoma Plaza Historic District which became a National Historic Landmark in 1960.
Sonoma State Historic Park contains six historic buildings: