California Historical Landmarks in Santa Barbara County
California Historical Landmark 307
De la Guerra Plaza
15 East de la Guerra Street
A common council was duly elected near this site on August 26, 1850, two weeks before California statehood. The City of Santa Barbara held its first official meeting here in 1875, the first city hall was erected here, and the area is still center of city's governmental activities. The plaza was the scene of early Santa Barbara fiestas, and the hospitality at the de la Guerra house set standards for Santa Barbara.
Marker erected by California Centennials Commission in cooperation with Old Spanish Days in Santa Barbara, and Santa Barbara Historical Society.
Dedicated August 26, 1950.
This California historical landmark plaque is unusual. It is the only one that we have encountered which does not show the California landmark number.
The Casa de la Guerra, facing the plaza, is National Register listing #77000346.
Historic Adobe Buildings