California Historical Landmarks in Santa Barbara County
California Historical Landmark 306
129 West Mason Street
Thought to have once been the Indian village of Syujtun, this site has yielded some of the most important archeological evidence found in California. In 1542 the village was recorded by Cabrillo while on his voyage of discovery, and again in 1769 by Fr. Crespí and the redoubtable Portolá. Don Luis Burton, after whom the mound was named, acquired the property in 1860.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 306
Plaque erected by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the California Historical Landmarks Advisory Committee, the Grand Parlor of the Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West, and the City of Santa Barbara, August 5, 1966.