National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco

National Register #87002290: Engine Company No. 31 9 June 2003
(Click Photo to Zoom)
National Register #87002290
Engine Company No. 31
1088 Green Street Between Hyde and Leavenworth
Built 1908

Engine House 31, one of the last San Francisco firehouses built for horse-drawn equipment, stands in the Paris Block of Russian Hill across Green Street from the Feusier Octagon House.

The engine house was designed by City Architect Newton J Tharp using elements of the Tudor Revival and Craftsman styles to complement existing residences which had survived the Earthquake and Fire.

It remained a firehouse until 1952 when it was decommissioned. Louise Davies purchased it in 1958 and donated it to the National Trust for Historic preservation in 1978. In the 1990's, the Trust sold it to the St. Andrews Society of San Francisco.

Engine Company No. 31 is also San Francisco Landmark 220.

Vintage San Francisco Firehouses is the definitive Web guide to San Francisco firehouses, both vintage and modern.

Map of vintage firehouses in San Francisco.

Prev | Next
San Francisco County: List | Map
California: List | Map
Visit NoeHill on Facebook Visit NoeHill on Flickr Visit NoeHill on Twitter