National Register #88000026
New United States Mint
155 Hermann Street
The "New" United States Mint, esigned by Gilbert Stanley Underwood in the stripped
classical style, was the third and final mint built in San Francisco.
The original United States Mint & Subtreasury was built on the waterfront in 1854. It was replaced in 1869 by a much larger
structure which survived the 1906 Earthquake and Fire and continued to function as a mint during the rebuilding of San Francisco. The 1869 "Old Mint" is
Califonia Landmark 875, San Francisco Landmark 236, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.