San Francisco Points of Interest

Engine Company No. 40
Engine Company No. 40 2 January 2012
(Click Photos to Zoom)
Engine Company No. 40
1249 Clayton Street
Built 1909

This Mission Revival firehouse, built in 1909, was converted from horse and wagon to motorized apparatus in 1917.

Engine Company No. 40 served this neighborhood until 1956 when it moved to new quarters at 1145 Stanyan Street.

The firehouse continued to be for general storage and by the fireman assigned to Asbury Tank across the street. It was sold at public auction in the 1970's and is now a private residence.

Vintage San Francisco Firehouses is the definitive Web guide to San Francisco firehouses, both vintage and modern.

Map of vintage firehouses in San Francisco.

Prev | Next
San Francisco County: List | Map
California: List | Map
Visit NoeHill on Facebook Visit NoeHill on Flickr Visit NoeHill on Twitter