San Francisco Points of Interest

Engine Company No. 48
22 December 2011
(Click Photo to Zoom)
Engine Company No. 48
798 Wisconsin Street
Built 1914

This two-story brick structure, designed by John Reid Jr., is still in service

Battalion 10 was stationed here from 1918 to 1926 when it relocated down the hill to Engine Company 16 in Dogpatch.

In 1952, Auxiliary Engine Company No. 25 was organized and stationed here until it was disbanded in 1974.

In 1974, the company was renumbered from 48 to 37, the current nomenclature.

With an interior newly refurbished in 1996, this house merges the most modern fire apparatus with the style and workmanship of a facade embellished with intricate terra cotta detail used in by-gone days.

The firehouse is located atop Potrero Hill and has a fabulous view of downtown San Francisco. On quiet summer evenings the sounds of the screaming faithful San Francisco Giant fans can be heard from Pac Bell Park.

On clear nights, when the San Francisco fog is not present, the company can watch the progress being made at 3rd or 4th alarms of fire in the Financial District. If the Chief of Department would only pull a 5th alarm, then the crew of Engine 37 could get in on the action.


Vintage San Francisco Firehouses is the definitive Web guide to San Francisco firehouses, both vintage and modern.

Map of vintage firehouses in San Francisco.

Prev | Next
San Francisco County: List | Map
California: List | Map
Visit NoeHill on Facebook Visit NoeHill on Flickr Visit NoeHill on Twitter