National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco

National Register #02000371: Engine Company No. 2
14 June 2003
(Click Photo to Zoom)
National Register #02000371
Engine Company No. 2
460 Bush Street Between Grant and Kearny
Built 1909

Engine Company No. 2 was the first firehouse to be rebuilt in the downtown district after the tragic earthquake and fire of 1906 and is one of only three classically-inspired firehouses ever built in San Francisco.

The Beaux Arts design reflects the influence of the City Beautiful Movement on the rebuilding of San Francisco.

Large scale elements, such as the doorway arch and piano nobile columns, create a dramatic façade that appears more grandiose than its mere two stories would warrant. Inspiration may have come from such late Renaissance masters as Raphael and Palladio.

Raphael's Palazzo Vidoni Caffarelli (Rome, c1520), similarly uses a rusticated base upon which a columned piano nobile rests. Palladio's possible influence is seen in the use of a large arch flanked by smaller openings.

Excerpted from the NRHP nomination approved 20 February 2002.

Engine Company No. 2 is also San Francisco Landmark 143.

Vintage San Francisco Firehouses is the definitive Web guide to San Francisco firehouses, both vintage and modern.

Map of vintage firehouses in San Francisco.

Prev | Next
San Francisco County: List | Map
California: List | Map
Visit NoeHill on Facebook Visit NoeHill on Flickr Visit NoeHill on Twitter