National Register of Historic Places in Garfield County
The Garfield County Airport began as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project in 1936. Since the WPA only provided partial funding, the county called for local men to donate their labor towards completion of the structure. Design of the structure and construction supervision was handled by the three county commissioners.
The logs used in construction of the hangar were cut as part of the Civilian Conservation Corps project to eradicate the black beetle in Southern Utah. Infested trees were cut and sawed at the East Fork Sevier River sawmill by Garfield County men. They hauled the logs by teams of horses to the construction site.
In the realm of airplane hangar construction and design, the Garfield County Airport Hangar is truly an oddity. The barnlike construction of native materials is a testimony to the ranching/agricultural background of the men who built it. Having no previous experience in designing or building an airplane hangar, they built in the style they knew with what they had. The soundness of this building bears witness to the excellence of craftsmanship and ingenuity of design.
The hangar is a tribute to the early days of air travel in the United States. In the mid-1930's remote places such as Garfield County began to realize the benefits that could be derived from air services. Simultaneously, the US Government realized that a network of airport facilities was a necessity. Thus, the WPA and Garfield Country worked together to further both local and national concerns.
Excerpted from the NRHP nomination submitted in April 1978.
National Industrial Recovery Act of 1933
President Franklin Roosevelt came into office during the worst depression the nation had ever known. Fulfilling a campaign promise to put people to work, he instituted the New Deal to bring economic recovery to the depression-wrought country.
The National Industrial Recovery Act (NIRA) of 1933 authorized the Public Works Administration (PWA) to provide jobs, stimulate business activity, and increase purchasing power through the construction of permanent and socially useful public works. The Federal Government and local city, county and state governments formed a working partnership resulting in the greatest single construction program in history.
PWA construction projects, in addition to providing employment for the skilled, generated a volume of jobs for the unskilled. The PWA provided loans and grants up to forty percent of the total cost of the project to states, and many other public bodies, including schools.
From 1933-1935, the PWA underwrote projects in 3,040 of the 3,073 counties in all forty-eight states. Of the 3.76 billion dollars of
the NIRA fund, 2.56 billion dollars was spent on 19,004 construction projects.
Narrative adapted in part from the NRHP nomination for Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building
dated 16 November 1999.
Narrative adapted in part from the NRHP nomination for Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building dated 16 November 1999.
Many buildings funded by the PWA have been recognized for their historic significance and architectural excellence. Among them are:
Federal Writers and Artists Projects in San Francisco
Gasquet Ranger Station
Mariposa County High School Auditorium
McClatchy Senior High School in Sacramento
Mountain View Adobe
Police Headquarters, Jail & Courts in San Diego
Butte Falls Ranger Station in Butte Falls
Dead Indian Soda Springs Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Fish Lake Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Gold Beach Ranger Station
Lake of the Woods Ranger Station in Fremont-Winema National Forest
Lithia Park in Ashland