National Register of Historic Places in Klamath County
With eight historic buildings, the Lake of the Woods Ranger Station is a classic Forest Service ranger station.
The buildings were designed by the Forest Service's Pacific Northwest Regional Architecture Group. All of the structures were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps between 1937 and 1939. Their work included a ranger station administrative office, two ranger residences, a crew house, garage, gas and oil shed, storage shed, and a barn.
The buildings except the barn were constructed in the Cascadian rustic architectural style using weatherboard, wood shingles, native stone, and concrete as the basic building materials. The barn is a peeled-log structure. Many of the gables have the open pine tree logo cutouts that were common to Forest Service structures built during the 1930s.
National Industrial Recovery Act of 1933
President Franklin Roosevelt came into office during the worst depression the nation had ever known. Fulfilling a campaign promise to put people to work, he instituted the New Deal to bring economic recovery to the depression-wrought country.
The National Industrial Recovery Act (NIRA) of 1933 authorized the Public Works Administration (PWA) to provide jobs, stimulate business activity, and increase purchasing power through the construction of permanent and socially useful public works. The Federal Government and local city, county and state governments formed a working partnership resulting in the greatest single construction program in history.
PWA construction projects, in addition to providing employment for the skilled, generated a volume of jobs for the unskilled. The PWA provided loans and grants up to forty percent of the total cost of the project to states, and many other public bodies, including schools.
From 1933-1935, the PWA underwrote projects in 3,040 of the 3,073 counties in all forty-eight states. Of the 3.76 billion dollars of
the NIRA fund, 2.56 billion dollars was spent on 19,004 construction projects.
Narrative adapted in part from the NRHP nomination for Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building
dated 16 November 1999.
Narrative adapted in part from the NRHP nomination for Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building dated 16 November 1999.
Many buildings funded by the PWA have been recognized for their historic significance and architectural excellence. Among them are:
Adobe Chapel of the Immaculate Conception in San Diego
Aquatic Park in San Francisco
Beach Chalet Murals in San Francisco
Big Basin Redwood State Park Headquarters Building
Big Creek Bridge in Big Sur
Feather River Scenic Byway Tunnels
Federal Building in Merced
Federal Writers and Artists Projects in San Francisco
Gasquet Ranger Station
Mariposa County High School Auditorium
McClatchy Senior High School in Sacramento
Monterey County Courthouse in Salinas
Mountain View Adobe
Police Headquarters, Jail & Courts in San Diego
Rincon Annex Post Office in San Francisco
Sacramento Junior College
San Francisco State Teachers College
Sitka Main Post Office and Court House in Alaska
Sonora Youth Center
Stanislaus Forest Experiment Station
The Fort in Taft
Theodore Judah School in Sacramento
Tulare Union High School
Carson City Civic Auditorium
Southside School in Reno
Tonopah Main Post Office
USO Building in Hawthorne
Yerington Main Post Office
National Park Service Southwest Regional Office in Santa Fe
New Mexico School for the Deaf Building 2 in Santa Fe
New Mexico School for the Deaf Hospital in Santa Fe
New Mexico Supreme Court in Santa Fe
Butte Falls Ranger Station in Butte Falls
Dead Indian Soda Springs Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Fish Lake Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Gold Beach Ranger Station
Lake of the Woods Ranger Station in Fremont-Winema National Forest
Lithia Park in Ashland
McKee Bridge Campground in Rogue River National Forest
Wrangle Gap Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Bryce Canyon Airport
Dalton Wells Civilian Conservation Corps
Minersville City Hall
Rock House in Arches National Park