National Register of Historic Places in Del Norte County, California
Occupying three acres of river terrace between Route 199 and the Middle Fork of the Smith River, the historic section of the Gasquet Ranger Station compound was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the U.S. Forest Service between 1933 and 1939. Of the eleven elements that made up the Station, eight remain.
The Gasquet Ranger Station District tangibly conveys accomplishments of the CCC work program instituted by Franklin Roosevelt as part of his New Deal. The district materially represents an increase in the infrastructure of the Forest Service beginning in the 1930s as the agency shifted from a custodial role to a leadership role in comprehensive and coordinated forestry programs.
The buildings convey a unique design idiom which embraced a rustic, non-intrusive philosophy that at the time was pervasive in land management agencies. The district is one of a relatively small number of CCC ranger station compounds in California which maintain integrity of location, design, setting, workmanship, feeling and association.
Excerpted from the NRHP Nomination.
National Industrial Recovery Act of 1933
President Franklin Roosevelt came into office during the worst depression the nation had ever known. Fulfilling a campaign promise to put people to work, he instituted the New Deal to bring economic recovery to the depression-wrought country.
The National Industrial Recovery Act (NIRA) of 1933 authorized the Public Works Administration (PWA) to provide jobs, stimulate business activity, and increase purchasing power through the construction of permanent and socially useful public works. The Federal Government and local city, county and state governments formed a working partnership resulting in the greatest single construction program in history.
PWA construction projects, in addition to providing employment for the skilled, generated a volume of jobs for the unskilled. The PWA provided loans and grants up to forty percent of the total cost of the project to states, and many other public bodies, including schools.
From 1933-1935, the PWA underwrote projects in 3,040 of the 3,073 counties in all forty-eight states. Of the 3.76 billion dollars of
the NIRA fund, 2.56 billion dollars was spent on 19,004 construction projects.
Narrative adapted in part from the NRHP nomination for Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building
dated 16 November 1999.
Narrative adapted in part from the NRHP nomination for Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building dated 16 November 1999.
Many buildings funded by the PWA have been recognized for their historic significance and architectural excellence. Among them are:
Adobe Chapel of the Immaculate Conception in San Diego
Aquatic Park in San Francisco
Beach Chalet Murals in San Francisco
Big Basin Redwood State Park Headquarters Building
Feather River Scenic Byway Tunnels
Federal Building in Merced
Federal Writers and Artists Projects in San Francisco
Gasquet Ranger Station
Mariposa County High School Auditorium
McClatchy Senior High School in Sacramento
Monterey County Courthouse in Salinas
National Park Service Southwest Regional Office in Santa Fe
New Mexico School for the Deaf Building 2 in Santa Fe
New Mexico School for the Deaf Hospital in Santa Fe
New Mexico Supreme Court in Santa Fe
Butte Falls Ranger Station in Butte Falls
Dead Indian Soda Springs Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Fish Lake Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Gold Beach Ranger Station
Lake of the Woods Ranger Station in Fremont-Winema National Forest
Lithia Park in Ashland
|Name||Year||Address||Remarks||Sort Address||Sort Name|
|Main Office||1938||Forest Service Rustic Style||01||Main Office|
|Assistant District Ranger's Residence||1938||Forest Service Rustic Style||02||Assistant District Ranger's Residence|
|Protective Assistant's Garage||1938||Forest Service Rustic Style||03||Protective Assistant's Garage|
|Assistant District Ranger's Garage||Forest Service Rustic Style||04||Assistant District Ranger's Garage|
|Warehouse||1936||Forest Service Rustic Style||05||Warehouse|
|Gas and Oil House||1934||Forest Service Rustic Style||06||Gas and Oil House|
|District Ranger's Residence||Colonial Revival||07||District Ranger's Residence|
|Rock Wall||Mortarless wall of carefully sized and hand-fitted rock, a hallmark of the Civilian Conservation Corps era.||08||Rock Wall|