National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
Lithia Park, situated at the base of the Siskiyou Mountains overlooking Bear Creek Valley, is the only landscape in Oregon designed by John McLaren, Scottish-born landscape architect who was renowned for his development of Golden Gate Park and his landscaping for the 1015 Panama-Pacific International Exposition.
In its growth and development from a Chautauqua site in 1893 through Public Works Administration improvements made between 1935 and 1938, Lithia Park is a complete reflection of the public park movement over a period of forty-five years.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1982.
This 427-acre historic district contains four contributing buildings and eleven contributing structures.
National Industrial Recovery Act of 1933
President Franklin Roosevelt came into office during the worst depression the nation had ever known. Fulfilling a campaign promise to put people to work, he instituted the New Deal to bring economic recovery to the depression-wrought country.
The National Industrial Recovery Act (NIRA) of 1933 authorized the Public Works Administration (PWA) to provide jobs, stimulate business activity, and increase purchasing power through the construction of permanent and socially useful public works. The Federal Government and local city, county and state governments formed a working partnership resulting in the greatest single construction program in history.
PWA construction projects, in addition to providing employment for the skilled, generated a volume of jobs for the unskilled. The PWA provided loans and grants up to forty percent of the total cost of the project to states, and many other public bodies, including schools.
From 1933-1935, the PWA underwrote projects in 3,040 of the 3,073 counties in all forty-eight states. Of the 3.76 billion dollars of
the NIRA fund, 2.56 billion dollars was spent on 19,004 construction projects.
Narrative adapted in part from the NRHP nomination for Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building
dated 16 November 1999.
Narrative adapted in part from the NRHP nomination for Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building dated 16 November 1999.
Many buildings funded by the PWA have been recognized for their historic significance and architectural excellence. Among them are:
Federal Writers and Artists Projects in San Francisco
Gasquet Ranger Station
Mariposa County High School Auditorium
McClatchy Senior High School in Sacramento
Mountain View Adobe
Police Headquarters, Jail & Courts in San Diego
Butte Falls Ranger Station in Butte Falls
Dead Indian Soda Springs Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Fish Lake Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Gold Beach Ranger Station
Lake of the Woods Ranger Station in Fremont-Winema National Forest
Lithia Park in Ashland
|Name||Year||Address||Remarks||Sort Address||Sort Name|
|Lower Duck Pond (Meyer Pond) and Waterfall||1910||01||Lower Duck Pond (Meyer Pond) and Waterfall|
|Concrete Foot Bridge with Lamp Posts||1915||02||Concrete Foot Bridge with Lamp Posts|
|Memorial Rose Garden||1938||03||Memorial Rose Garden|
|Parkway (Winburn Way)||1915||04||Parkway (Winburn Way)|
|Perozzi Fountain Terrace||1915||05||Perozzi Fountain Terrace|
|Lithia Water Fountain (Butler Pavilion)||1915||06||Lithia Water Fountain (Butler Pavilion)|
|Sycamore Grove||1915||07||Sycamore Grove|
|Steps to Site of Lithia Water Bottling Station||1915||08||Steps to Site of Lithia Water Bottling Station|
|Tennis Courts||1915||09||Tennis Courts|
|Upper Duck Pond (Black Swan Lake)||1915||10||Upper Duck Pond (Black Swan Lake)|
|Auto Camp Site||1915||11||Auto Camp Site|
|Auto Camp Registration and Recreation Building||1915||12||Auto Camp Registration and Recreation Building|
|Camper's Bungalow||1935||13||Camper's Bungalow|