National Register of Historic Places in Santa Cruz County
Established in 1902, Big Basin Redwoods State Park is the oldest park in the California state park system and the first park to be acquired by the state through the efforts of citizens who were concerned about the rapid commercial exploitation of coastal redwood forests. The state legislature established the park to protect the redwoods for enjoyment by everyone.
Between 1933 and 1941, the Civilian Conservation Corps, a New Deal relief program, built extensive facilities for tourists and park staff in Big Basin, as they did in state parks across the country. The CCC removed many of the earlier facilities in Big Basin and constructed distinctive buildings in the Park Rustic Style.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 2015.
Redwoods are protected from fire because they contain neither pitch nor resin like other conifers. Coast redwoods also have fire resistant bark at least a foot thick.
Redwoods are protected from insects and fungi by tannin. (Tannin is responsible for the reddish color of the bark and the heartwood.)
A redwood tree can remain vigorous for centuries after its heart is burned out. Heartwood is composed of dead cells. The outer layers of the trunk, known as sapwood, are alive and conduct water and minerals up from the roots. The leaves manufacture food which is conducted down to the various parts of the tree through the inner layers of bark.
Source: National Park Service
National Industrial Recovery Act of 1933
President Franklin Roosevelt came into office during the worst depression the nation had ever known. Fulfilling a campaign promise to put people to work, he instituted the New Deal to bring economic recovery to the depression-wrought country.
The National Industrial Recovery Act (NIRA) of 1933 authorized the Public Works Administration (PWA) to provide jobs, stimulate business activity, and increase purchasing power through the construction of permanent and socially useful public works. The Federal Government and local city, county and state governments formed a working partnership resulting in the greatest single construction program in history.
PWA construction projects, in addition to providing employment for the skilled, generated a volume of jobs for the unskilled. The PWA provided loans and grants up to forty percent of the total cost of the project to states, and many other public bodies, including schools.
From 1933-1935, the PWA underwrote projects in 3,040 of the 3,073 counties in all forty-eight states. Of the 3.76 billion dollars of
the NIRA fund, 2.56 billion dollars was spent on 19,004 construction projects.
Narrative adapted in part from the NRHP nomination for Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building
dated 16 November 1999.
Narrative adapted in part from the NRHP nomination for Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building dated 16 November 1999.
Many buildings funded by the PWA have been recognized for their historic significance and architectural excellence. Among them are:
Adobe Chapel of the Immaculate Conception in San Diego
Aquatic Park in San Francisco
Beach Chalet Murals in San Francisco
Big Basin Redwood State Park Headquarters Building
Big Creek Bridge in Big Sur
Feather River Scenic Byway Tunnels
Federal Building in Merced
Federal Writers and Artists Projects in San Francisco
Gasquet Ranger Station
Mariposa County High School Auditorium
McClatchy Senior High School in Sacramento
Monterey County Courthouse in Salinas
Mountain View Adobe
Police Headquarters, Jail & Courts in San Diego
Rincon Annex Post Office in San Francisco
Sacramento Junior College
San Francisco State Teachers College
Sitka Main Post Office and Court House in Alaska
Sonora Youth Center
Stanislaus Forest Experiment Station
The Fort in Taft
Theodore Judah School in Sacramento
Tulare Union High School
Carson City Civic Auditorium
Southside School in Reno
Tonopah Main Post Office
USO Building in Hawthorne
Yerington Main Post Office
National Park Service Southwest Regional Office in Santa Fe
New Mexico School for the Deaf Building 2 in Santa Fe
New Mexico School for the Deaf Hospital in Santa Fe
New Mexico Supreme Court in Santa Fe
Butte Falls Ranger Station in Butte Falls
Dead Indian Soda Springs Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Fish Lake Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Gold Beach Ranger Station
Lake of the Woods Ranger Station in Fremont-Winema National Forest
Lithia Park in Ashland
McKee Bridge Campground in Rogue River National Forest
Wrangle Gap Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Bryce Canyon Airport
Dalton Wells Civilian Conservation Corps
Minersville City Hall
Rock House in Arches National Park