National Register of Historic Places in San Diego County
The Headquarters Building, designed by Charles and Edward Quayle and Alberto O. Treganza, is an excellent example of eclectic Spanish Colonial Revival architecture. This architectural style was introduced at San Diego's 1915 Panama-California Exposition and the style subsequently defined San Diego and Southern California.
This building was one of a series of large civic projects funded by the post depression Public Works Administration (PWA) and the Works Progress (Projects) Administration (WPA) under President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's New Deal. Because San Diego was a strategic military city, the federal government assisted the city in major harbor improvements, civic buildings, educational facilities, and the California-Pacific Exposition in 1935. San Diego benefited tremendously from this attention that ultimately changed the course of the city's built environment.
The site served as the main headquarters for the City of San Diego Police Department from 1939 until 1987.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1998.
National Industrial Recovery Act of 1933
President Franklin Roosevelt came into office during the worst depression the nation had ever known. Fulfilling a campaign promise to put people to work, he instituted the New Deal to bring economic recovery to the depression-wrought country.
The National Industrial Recovery Act (NIRA) of 1933 authorized the Public Works Administration (PWA) to provide jobs, stimulate business activity, and increase purchasing power through the construction of permanent and socially useful public works. The Federal Government and local city, county and state governments formed a working partnership resulting in the greatest single construction program in history.
PWA construction projects, in addition to providing employment for the skilled, generated a volume of jobs for the unskilled. The PWA provided loans and grants up to forty percent of the total cost of the project to states, and many other public bodies, including schools.
From 1933-1935, the PWA underwrote projects in 3,040 of the 3,073 counties in all forty-eight states. Of the 3.76 billion dollars of
the NIRA fund, 2.56 billion dollars was spent on 19,004 construction projects.
Narrative adapted in part from the NRHP nomination for Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building
dated 16 November 1999.
Narrative adapted in part from the NRHP nomination for Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building dated 16 November 1999.
Many buildings funded by the PWA have been recognized for their historic significance and architectural excellence. Among them are:
Federal Writers and Artists Projects in San Francisco
Gasquet Ranger Station
Mariposa County High School Auditorium
McClatchy Senior High School in Sacramento
Mountain View Adobe
Police Headquarters, Jail & Courts in San Diego
Butte Falls Ranger Station in Butte Falls
Dead Indian Soda Springs Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Fish Lake Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Gold Beach Ranger Station
Lake of the Woods Ranger Station in Fremont-Winema National Forest
Lithia Park in Ashland