National Register of Historic Places in Santa Fe County
This building is believed to be the largest all-adobe office building in the United States. Including the central patio, which is ninety-five feet long and seventy feet wide, the building covers more than an acre of land and follows generally the designs of 17th century Spanish Colonial missions.
The two-story portion corresponds to the configuration of the mission chapels, while the patio offices correspond to the old conventos.
It is an excellent example of the revival phase of historical architecture in New Mexico and was important in helping to reawaken interest in early New Mexican history and design.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1967.
An interpretive marker reads:Civilian Conservation Corps
This prime example of Spanish-Pueblo Revival style architecture was built between 1937 and 1939 to house the National Park Service Region III headquarters. The building testifies to the work and dedication of the members of Santa Fe Company 833 of the Civilian Conservation Corps who were part of the 3.25 million Americans who labored and learned during the hard times of the Great Depression. The CCC was one of President Roosevelt's most successful New Deal programs. During this period (1933-1942), the CCC conserved topsoil on millions of acres; built roads, buildings, dams, telephone lines, and parks; and replenished forests, waters, and wildlife.
Chapter 141 of the National Association of Civilian Conservation Corps Alumni
National Industrial Recovery Act of 1933
President Franklin Roosevelt came into office during the worst depression the nation had ever known. Fulfilling a campaign promise to put people to work, he instituted the New Deal to bring economic recovery to the depression-wrought country.
The National Industrial Recovery Act (NIRA) of 1933 authorized the Public Works Administration (PWA) to provide jobs, stimulate business activity, and increase purchasing power through the construction of permanent and socially useful public works. The Federal Government and local city, county and state governments formed a working partnership resulting in the greatest single construction program in history.
PWA construction projects, in addition to providing employment for the skilled, generated a volume of jobs for the unskilled. The PWA provided loans and grants up to forty percent of the total cost of the project to states, and many other public bodies, including schools.
From 1933-1935, the PWA underwrote projects in 3,040 of the 3,073 counties in all forty-eight states. Of the 3.76 billion dollars of
the NIRA fund, 2.56 billion dollars was spent on 19,004 construction projects.
Narrative adapted in part from the NRHP nomination for Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building
dated 16 November 1999.
Narrative adapted in part from the NRHP nomination for Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building dated 16 November 1999.
Many buildings funded by the PWA have been recognized for their historic significance and architectural excellence. Among them are:
Adobe Chapel of the Immaculate Conception in San Diego
Aquatic Park in San Francisco
Beach Chalet Murals in San Francisco
Big Basin Redwood State Park Headquarters Building
Big Creek Bridge in Big Sur
Feather River Scenic Byway Tunnels
Federal Building in Merced
Federal Writers and Artists Projects in San Francisco
Gasquet Ranger Station
Mariposa County High School Auditorium
McClatchy Senior High School in Sacramento
Monterey County Courthouse in Salinas
Mountain View Adobe
Police Headquarters, Jail & Courts in San Diego
Rincon Annex Post Office in San Francisco
Sacramento Junior College
San Francisco State Teachers College
Sitka Main Post Office and Court House in Alaska
National Park Service Southwest Regional Office in Santa Fe
New Mexico School for the Deaf Building 2 in Santa Fe
New Mexico School for the Deaf Hospital in Santa Fe
New Mexico Supreme Court in Santa Fe
Butte Falls Ranger Station in Butte Falls
Dead Indian Soda Springs Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Fish Lake Shelter in Rogue River National Forest
Gold Beach Ranger Station
Lake of the Woods Ranger Station in Fremont-Winema National Forest
Lithia Park in Ashland