National Register of Historic Places in Siskiyou County, California
The McCloud Historic District covers 130 acres and contains seventeen contributing buildings.
In 1896, William Van Arsdale and George Scott incorporated a company in the McCloud River Valley on the slopes of Mount Shasta, a dormant volcano. The McCloud River Railroad and Lumber Company remained independent until 1963 with McCloud as its company town.
Some Company Towns
|Name||Year||Address||Remarks||Sort Address||Sort Name|
|St. John's Episcopal Church||1922||416 California Street||California 416||St. John's Episcopal Church|
|McCloud Community Presbyterian Church||1905||428 California Street||California 428||McCloud Community Presbyterian Church|
|St. Joseph's Catholic Church||1931||213 Colombero Drive||Colombero 213||St. Joseph's Catholic Church|
|St. Joseph's Rectory||1905||217 Colombero Drive||Colombero 217||St. Joseph's Rectory|
|Park Motor Hotel||1922||309 Colombero Drive||Originally a boarding house for unmarried male employees. Now, Stoney Brook Inn for bed and breakfast lodging.||Colombero 309||Park Motor Hotel|
|McCloud River Lumber Company||1903||325 Lawndale Court||Lawndale 325||McCloud River Lumber Company|
|Company Manager's Home||1900||352 Lawndale Court||Lawndale 352||Company Manager's Home|
|Hogan House||1904||424 Lawndale Court||Originally the residence of the town's second doctor.||Lawndale 424||Hogan House|
|McCloud River Mercantile Company||1899||222-245 Main Street||In 1906, the McCloud River Lumber Company took over this store and made it the company store.||Main 222||McCloud River Mercantile Company|
|Piazza||1904||301-305 Main Street||Originally a cleaning shop. A 1919 addition housed a barber shop.||Main 301||Piazza|
|McCloud Post Office||1904||310 Main Street||Main 310||McCloud Post Office|
|Milky Way Restaurant||1905||316 Main Street||Originally a restaurant.||Main 316||Milky Way Restaurant|
|McCloud Heritage Junction Museum||1904||320 Main Street||Main 320||McCloud Heritage Junction Museum|
|McCloud River Railroad Depot||1929||325 Main Street||Destroyed by fire in 1990.||Main 325||McCloud River Railroad Depot|
|McCloud Hotel||1916||408 Main Street||Main 408||McCloud Hotel|
|McCloud Cookhouse||1934||424 Main Street||Built in 1934 to replace a company cafeteria destroyed by fire.||Main 424||McCloud Cookhouse|
|Shoemaker's House and Workshop||1905||304 West Minnesota Avenue||Originally a church meeting hall, then a shoemaker's house and workshop. When the photo was taken on 19 Sep 2006, the building housed the McCloud Community Resource Center.||Minnesota 304||Shoemaker's House and Workshop|
This building, built in 1903, contained the offices of McCloud River Lumber Company as well as the telephone switchboard and bank for the town of McCloud. The building was expanded in 1906 and again in September.
The building now houses the McCloud River Inn.
The hotel was built to house unmarried employees. The top floor was a dorm, and the first and second floors had private rooms, some with baths. In 1925, the hotel had 116 beds and a library. Monthly rent for a bunk bed in the dorm was $11.00.
The building is still a hotel but is now open to the public.
The building was originally a pool hall for white lumbermen. All others - including Latinos, Orientals and Greeks - were denied entrance. In 1943, when the workers succeeded in unionizing the McCloud River Lumber Company, this building became the union hall.