California Historical Landmarks in Tuolumne County
California Historical Landmark 445
19721 Confidence-Tuolumne Road
Two Miles North of the Town of Tuolumne
First placer camp in East Belt section of Mother Lode. Gold discovered here in 1853 by the Scott brothers, descendants of Cherokee Indians. Scars of placer "diggins" in every little arroyo in Cherokee Valley healed over by Mother Nature later replaced by quartz mines. Present-day productive farms in this area were once rich placer grounds.
State Registered Landmark No. 445
Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission.
Base provided by Tuolumne City Progressive Association
Dedicated December 11, 1949