California Historical Landmarks in Tuolumne County
California Historical Landmark 423
State Route 120 and Main Street
Reportedly founded about 1849 by group of Englishmen who employed Chinese as miners. Much surface gold found on hills and flats. Headquarters for stage lines in early 1850's, and for several California Chinese mining companies. First Chinese tong war in state fought near here between Sam Yap and Yan Woo tongs. Present stone and brick post office built 1854, still standing. St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church built in 1855, restored 1949. First pastor, Father Henry Aleric.
Historical Landmark No. 423
Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission
Base provided by Tuolumne County Council No. 2165, Knights of Columbus
Dedicated June 18, 1949